compost centrum ijburg
PROJECT OWNER: TAYFUN YALCIN, www.towardsnature.net
LOCATION: Please see the above design. The location is in between Boerderij op Ijburg, Canoe Club and Tennis Club in Ijburg.
Creating local solutions for the public and private organic wastes and producing local organic compost in Ijburg. Building a simple structure and with minimum amount of investment, with local people’s involvement as community, local compost with local available resources created and managed.
NEEDED TOOLS, MACHINES:
1. Shredder: Cutting prunings into small pieces
2. Small Forklift: Carrying heavy material and containers
3. Structure to cover the Composting Heaps
- Horse Manure: This is using either external resources or using Boerderij op Ijburg pony manures
- Straw and/or Woodchips or Wood bark cuttings: Government collected pruning materials are shredded with a Shredder Machin. Or, Straw can be obtained externally.
Water: Rainwater is used for all purposes. It will be collected from the main cover structure(wooden) of the Composting Centrum. It will be maintained in water containers. If budget allows, a water tower can be built for creating pressure to spray the water, Or, Solar panels can be installed to provide electricity for pumping the water.
ORGANIC WASTE COMPONENTS:
1. Government Maintained Places Organic Wastes
1.1 Grass Movings
1.3 Fallen Leaves from the trees(autumn)
2. Urban Housing Organic Wastes(Green Container)
2.1 Private Gardens Grass Movings
2.2 Private Gardens Prunings
3. Urban Housing Kitchen Wastes
3.1 Uncooked Kitchen Wastes(Egg Shells)
3.2 Vegetable and Fruit Residues
IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to provide a healthy Compost, all Government green activities for public spaces with Chemical origin MUST STOP. These chemicals such as fertilizers or pesticides or any other chemical originated materials are harmful for human and nature’s creature’s health. For the Wildlife encouragement, Bee population protection, beneficial insect population growth, all chemical activities MUST STOP.
WASTE COLLECTION PROCESS:
1. Government Maintained Places Organic Wastes:
All collection of Organic Wastes are delivered to local Compost Centrum location by the Government vehicles. The grass moving and pruning dates are pre-informed and planned for the space and the composting process preparations.
2. Urban Housing Green Organic Wastes:
All collections of Organic Wastes from the private houses are delivered to Compost Centrum by Government vehicles. The regularity of these collections are pre-informed and planned for the space and the composting process preparations.
3. Urban Housing Kitchen Wastes:
All kitchen wastes from the private houses are delivered to Compost Centrum by the individual Household owner. The kitchen waste types are well informed beforehand. The wastes will be weighted and recorded on either side;
3.1 By people with using an individual booklet, which will be stamped and marked with the kilo of the wastes
3.2 By Compost Centrum with the record under individual household name/address with their history of wastes with relevant kilograms
All collection of wastes are separately placed in the Compost Centrum. External input of material is planned and prepared for regular schedules.
1. Private Household Compost: This can be equal amount(kilos) their wastes with recording the waste material at the collection time and providing equal amount of compost at the distribution times. Each household can collect their compost in the agreed time schedule between Compost Centrum and person.
2. Public Parks and Areas Compost: In agreement with governments, this collection can be done directly from the Compost Centrum by the Government vehicles. The regularity and times can be agreed in advance.
3. Commercial Compost: The extra available organic compost can be sold to farmers, gardeners or any interested parties with reasonable prices. Distribution can be directly from the Compost Centrum.
Composting Technique: Hot(Warm) Composting technique is used.
1. Brown Material: Wood Chips, Straw, Cardboard, etc.
2. Green Material: Grass Moving wastes, Tree Leaves, Kitchen wastes, etc.
3. Horse Manure
- Mixing up Brown Materials , Green Materials and Horse Manure in the right order with watering it.
- Creating minimum 2-3 m3 heaps under covered structure to protect it from rain and wind
- Regularly turning these heaps every 2-3 days in rotation
- A carefull planning of these heaps must be done in order to provide continues compost
VALUE ADDs with Creating a Local Compost Centrum:
1. System Change from Chemical Towards Organic: For both, Government usage and Private usage, instead of using chemical fertilizers, pesticides, fungicides, we encourage a system change towards healtier direction. This healtier direction for both humans and Nature.
2. Local and Sustainable Solutions Supported: Instead of accumulating big quantities of wastes using big quantities of energy to deliver, process and maintain it, smaller, local, easier and nature friendly processes are used. Less energy is used.
3. Local Bio-Mass is Transformed to Healthy Compost: Local organic values are used in local solutions. It is transformed to Compost for local people.
4. Local Economy Supported: This activity can be a job creating functionality for the local people. Small and simple solutions with local people’s involvement maintained
5. Additional Products Can be Introduced: In connection with Composting activity, chickens can be introduced to the system. In the same process organic chicken and egg production can be done without any costs. Chickens eat from the composting material and there is plenty of rain water. This is done after and during the composting process with managing the chickens in the specific but free range areas.(further detail can be provided)